Just because it’s going to be gone FOREVER very soon (along with about 4 other versions before that) I thought I’d put a link to this piece of crap that I never finished making, and hated every minute of it. I wish I had this but working, better looking, fitting on a normal screen and like easier to navigate but website design in any and all forms stresses me out within seconds and I have no patience for it.
If you, in any way, can help me sort this out or have any feedback please email me! email@example.com
Here are a couple of Bios I wrote for Hit or Miss… One of them is how I’d actually want it to be printed, but as that’s probably not going to appeal to Voice, I rewrote it again, a bit more generic…
Hit or Miss are not just another Pop Punk band from Newport, and the addition of Reggae and Ska doesn’t mean they just have that extra element that has been done before. HOM mix together a huge range of influences, coming from each of their unique and individual members that have their own tastes and backgrounds. So many things have been thrown into the blender that the flavors remains but the final product is unrecognisable, which is a description you rarely (if ever?) hear when describing a Pop Punk band. The boys obviously have passion and respect for the bands they love but at the end of the day realise the importance of finding a style and working together to make it the best it can be. For a band that been around barely 5 minutes (they have played less than 10 shows), they have either a unique talent for song writing or are one of the few bands that are really in it for the music, rather than writing some music to be in ‘it’. Their songs are catchy and memorable but leave you wondering why you’re never heard anything quite like it, and their live shows always go down well thanks to the fact the guys can play their instruments and the vocalist can actually sing. And that’s sing, as in SING, not whine and hide it under the pretense of being in a girl seeking pop band. Their debut EP is due for release on the 13th of February, and another testament to the theory that they are in it for the music, they will be putting on a free show in celebration at Le Pub on the same day. Get down and see for yourself that these boys are making having fun sound better than usual.
Hit or Miss, just another Pop Punk, so no need for me to explain. No wait that’s not true, they throw in some reggae from time to time as well. Actually, that’s not all they do either, I’m not actually all that sure what they do but I like the way it sounds. At first you might be forgiven for thinking Hit or Miss were the same as the 47 million (and counting) Pop Punk bands circulating the drain hole in the luke warm bath tub of mainstream, little girl pleasing, money seeking and lazily written music… But if your ears work properly and you have an attention span that’s at least the length of half a song you’ll see they’re doing a hell of a lot more with their music, the only problem is describing exactly WHAT it is! I expect it comes from their many influences, taken from member of the band who are completely unique (and not because they have a manger telling them to become characters, because they don’t have a manager. And even if they did, they couldn’t come up with these guys), ranging from Rancid to Bob Marley. Admittedly, you wouldn’t be able to see those influences if you didn’t know they were in there, but that’s because Hit or Miss have blended in the ingredients so finely that the flavors are all still in their but you’d never recognise the final product. With the addition of vocals that don’t hit the typical New Found Glory / Slick Shoes nauseating highs, but stay within a familiar area and pay attention to the one thing a lot of bands forget is essential: their singer actually has a decent singing voice and the confidence to use it. Bonus live touches like a “freestyle” introduction to the members of the band over a Ska riff, and the famous ballad track which is normally saved for the album make Hit or Miss an awesome band to sea, with great stage presence without going into look-at-me arrogance, and the fact that they are all genuinely nice guys makes their shows fun from the start, rather than standing around and waiting until the band proves they deserve to be up there, which in today’s indie/DIY local music scenes, with everyone giving it and go and everyone wanting to be friends with the band, is rare. Hit or Miss are currently recording their debut EP ‘4 outta 5 ain’t bad’ which is released on February the 13th, at their FREE headlining show @ Le Pub.
Not really sure what my opinion of this dude is. Some of his stuff is actually funny and some is beyond lame. Apparently he’s a pretty big deal? At least that’s what he says in his ‘I’m a pretty big deal’ video. Maybe if you did upload a video to YouTube every day, ditch all your friends and made videos that even you thought sucked, you could be a star too?
The Jeremy Kyle Show… Holy Mackerel. Is there actually a limitless supply of super rank ugly mugs that are queuing up to be on this show to try and prove to their just-as-vomit-inducingly-mank girlfriend that they are not lying (they are) and that the 7 kids they have running around aren’t his (2 of them are)???
Flicking backwards and forwards between Kyle and Dragon’s Den is pretty hilarious. Like the 2 most opposite shows but also kind of entertaining for the same reasons. You basically sit there and watch some people who are there to prove something get shot down by the main gimps of the shows names, whoa apparently know better. They only exists to make the audience feel better about themselves. You laugh at typical members of the British public, from either side of the scale, and some in between, because they’re made to look like fools and make you feel that sitting in the house, half out of bed at 2:30 on a Monday afternoon does NOT make you a loser. Either that or it at least makes you forget about how much of a loser you are until the adverts come on.
I just wanna see the unedited footage of these shows, because I don’t actually think the shows can be edited THAT much (not like Big Brother style), which means so many members of the public are idiotic, arrogant, greedy, selfish and living in a fantasy world.
Right so this month has actually managed to get even better. Thanks friends and booze and stuff, gutted to losers with liver disease (what I eventually will become). Something which could have ruined everything and made me rip up my calender in a tantrum actually worked out alright, and a run in with some random little American teeny twats (thanks chat roulette, you weird skitzo) gave us a new catchphrase to shout if ever conversation went stale.
I came down to Brighton for my 2 day tattoo appointment that I get this time every year, only to find out that I’d missed it by 2 fucking days. Not my fault, I actually said 23rd-24th yeah? 23rd AND the 24th YES??? in every email I ever sent and it wasn’t until it was too late the dude was like oh wait, that’s the wrong day. he he. how silly of me. Don’t worry, I can fit you in…. September! Seeyouthenbye.
The thing that made things better, and kinda work out for the best (if I force myself to think that way and not try and do my own DIY tattoo with poster paint and a scalpel) is that I was given a ticket to go see Brand New, GlassJaw AND Thrice at Wembley Arena which would have fallen on the same day as my 2nd appointment (which didn’t exist) and made it a right bloody effort to get to Wembley afterwards.
I know that doesn’t make ANY bloody sense because if I’d gone on the right days I could have got it done Wednesday and Thursday, partied Friday and gone to the jesuschristing show on the Saturday but be quiet.
Right this might come as a shock to you but Wembley Arena is big. Big enough to have well over 10,000 people in there and still look empty. We were a little disappointed at first when we arrived and found our seats right at the back, with a GIANT balcony space in front of us (containing no seats for… erm, no reason) which hung over another UNNECESSARILY GIANT space and eventually the crowd! ‘Fuck This’ was the first thought that entered my mind but we quickly realised that wondering around and moaning was not going to bring the bands any closer, make their sets any longer (we missed a fair chunk of music) or make the beer any cheaper. So we accepted our fate (mostly) and found some decent seats for the start of Brand New which allowed us to 1. see shit, 2. hear shit, 3. sit n shit, 4. watch the huge sea of wriggling human underneath us whenever the lights came on and 5. leg it soon enough to actually get a train, with just enough time to buy an £8 “cheapest” bottle of wine. Cram.
So in the end it was a well good night. 1 of my friends who got me the ticket mistakenly thought Brand New were like my Favorite. Band. Ever. but the fact that they’re not didn’t make the show any less awesome, in fact probably better because I would have felt a bit of a gimp watching my FBE from some seats, and we got to enjoy the heck out of the slower songs and actually appreciate. Oh yeah and they did that Cult Of Luna thing of having 2 drummers (not quite as impressive as COL but, you know) and a ton of visuals and mega lights. Probably the one good thing about it being at Wembley Arena.
Oh yeah so anyway, the whole Anglais thing. We were hanging out on chatroulette, having a drink before going out because that’s how we do it, and 2 little American girls came up. We were like “Oh, hello little American girlies!” and their response to that was “Sorry, but we do not speak Anglais” …..Yes you do. And that sentence doesn’t make sense anyway. Gimps. So after shouting that sentence back at them a few times they ran away and a new phrase for the week was born. Which obviously had about 50 reincarnations, walking down the street shouting in the most macho American war veteran accent “I DO NOT, and I NEVER WILL speak a SINGLE word of…. AAAAANNNGLLLAAAAAIIIIIISSSSS!!!!!!”
I think that’s probably about everything. Except for going into Primark and asking how much it would be for all their product. £27 apparently.
Some of it absolutely stinks of a kid sticking his dick in a overheated GameBoy, but some of it is amazing, especially if you were alive and playing when ALL computer games sounded like this! Well getting into this at the moment, but like with every genre they’re people that give it a go just to exploit and become part of a scene they probably don’t respect. Probably because they think “I can do that, easy.” Well yeah you CAN do it but the songs you write sound like wet AIDS so why bother? Oh idiot chicks? Fair nuff.
Don’t judge too quickly if you come across one of them because as with any fairly new genre it takes time to find the real deals. I recommend Bit Shifter for a first try and if you dig that then try Null Sleep and Kkrusty.
Some of it realy isn’t far of what games sounded like in the first place, which I guess makes them pretty amazing for the painstaking effort that programmers (probably not musicians really were they) put into it? Oh yeah if you come across a band called … I can’t remember their name but there’s some weak band out there that reckon they were the first people to hack a GameBoy and turn it into an instrument. They weren’t.
Just as I was about to leave my mates house I found this book and actually pissed my ass until my face was wet. Laughed for so long I almost ended up missing my bus. Actually, I would have missed it if wasn’t for a couple having a massive argument with the bus driver in front of the bus.
It’s actually been an amazing few weeks! I never say that. I’m normally like “this all sucks”. Christmas Eve and New Years Eve going without saying for balls out party time, but then a few days after it’s been 2 of my best mates birthdays and then my very own celebration of being alive for 24 years. Better get used to saying that.
So anyway there’s been an excuse every night for birthday mental in Brighton, then for my own deal I went to see The Hope Conspiracy on Wednesday (like my favorite band ever, inked onto my skin for life, so good live), then Henry Rollins spoken word show on Friday. Both were the sickest nights, followed by tons more full blown sessions in London town, and I spent hardly any cash because the people I was out with had just got their loans in and sorted me out big style!
Anyway, this boring and pointless and a waste of the internet so far right? I know. The reason I’m bothering to type this up is so much stuff happened in London over the past few days that I know I’m gunna forget about. Some of the stuff I’ve already forgotten about, and has been explained to me, and I’m not sure if I believe it but we were all completely off our face then entire time. We’re cool. London was:
1. Seeing my favorite band, being way too wasted and moshing without any shoes on, climbing over people and using some dudes back as a ladder, screaming out for songs they’d already played, my Tshirt getting stretched beyond imagination, showing the band my tattoos for the like the 5th time and actually being kinda remembered.
2. Going unnecessarily mental the night after and queing up for a club for like half an hour before bailing out.
3. Waking up the next day in a bed that STUNK and feeling literally one of the worst I’ve ever felt in my life, being on the tube and trying so hard not to hurl on the floor but actually feeling like The Man when normality returned.
4. Henry Rollins. Unbelievable. Even after 3 hours we were all still sitting there transfixed with our jaws on the floor and a puddle of vodka/spit under us. Even when it sounded like he might be repeating himself he came out with some fully applause-worthy thinking juice.
5. APPARENTLY telling a scag head dude that asked for cash that no, but he could have some heroin, being told that he was going to wipe me off the planet, telling him to prove it, getting in each others face, acting like I was hard (which I’m NOT), getting on a bus, him coming up the bus and shouting that I was dead through the glass, to which I replied that he can suck my dick, went to get my dick out just as the bus doors opened, and the Scag Head, learned forward, pulled my head towards him and licked my ear?? I shouted that I had AIDS on my ear and then my mates came along and pushed the dude off the bus. I don’t remember ANY of this, and I’m not sure how much of this was said seriously but I am not in the habit of giving shit to London Scag Heads that are blatantly carrying knives.
6. My mate, in no racist or malicious way, but in a very stupid and drunk one, talking about Black Panthers sitting in front of 2 well annoyed looking black guys.
7. Pressing the stop button bell thing on the bus 1 million times.
8. Jon trying to take out this massive well racist looking sign of Barack Obama with a traffic cone, failing, so smashing through a bus shelter using his body.
9. Driving a car through a drive through, with no car, but a lot of patience from the person behind us and taking ourselves well seriously.
10. Being followed around Oxford Street by 8-10 well dodgy looking gangster dudes for ages and actually kinda shitting ourselves for a bit.
11. Deciding that we are NEVER going to a chain fast food place again and then paying for that decision with over an hour of looking for somewhere to eat. Worth it though.
12. Getting ssssseeeeerrrriiiioooosssslllllyyyy sorted out with food and drink every 10 seconds!!!!!!!
13. A lot of other stuff probably happened but it’s been forgotten already.
14. Oh yeah, and showing someone that had never seen any of the Terminator films (after about 10 minutes of rolling on the floor screaming “ASIF!!!!!!”) and then absolutely fucking it by speaking over the top, arguing about what back story they did or didn’t need to know, and then quoting all over the shop, before during and after the lines we’re actually being said by the like, professional actors.
15. Being chased around (not me) by this girl that was a serious skanko slag machine and had to bride this dude with drinks.
16. Banging on about double A, double V, double O, that then turned into regulary shouting sentences like put your single D with another D into the A and going P M all over the double T with or without a C. Which was only understood by the person saying it.
I’m sure there will be some more coming at a later point when the mega booze haze wears off, brain cells reactivate and I don’t have a glass of vodka in my head. It’s my birthday still (kinda) so eff off. X
It’s my birthday in a few days. Fuck that. I don’t want a birthday… but I do want birthday presents. Specifically an all expenses paid trip to LDN to see The Hope Conspiracy for like the 7th time. All expenses include a £10 ticket to the show, 2 £5 bus tickets from Newport to London and back, a £10 bottle of vodka, a £5 zones 1-3 travel card, and about £3 for a sandwhich. For my birthday I want £38s worth of going mental. That is FULLY not too much to ask!! I just spent over £38 on clothes I do NOT need, but that was with Christmas money for a specific book that I decided I could probably just find in a library or something. After I find a library.
P.S. Find someone that’s got the board game Cranium and party, it’s amazing.